Walker liquidating

Posted by / 24-Feb-2020 09:18

Walker liquidating

In 1915 Walker purchased the Thomas Lowry house, at #2 Groveland Terrace. She served for many years as a director of the Red River Lumber Company, although she apparently took little or no active part in its business affairs or in formulating its policies. Family memorabilia in the collection indicate that Ernest F. 1952), a Minneapolis dealer in mortgages and insurance. He served as president of the Hennepin Lumber Company (Minneapolis), circa 1905-circa 1919; president of the Lincoln Trust and Savings Bank (Minneapolis), circa 1920; vice president of the Lincoln National Bank (Minneapolis), circa 1922; president of the Lumbermens Finance Corporation, circa 1923-circa 1927; treasurer of the Arthur P. Fletcher resigned as vice president, treasurer, and director of the Red River Lumber Company in 1950. Walker Henderson (1904-) and Alma Virginia Walker Hearst Mc Keever (1908-). Archie Dean Walker (1882-1971) was the youngest and longest-surviving child of T. He served as Minneapolis-based secretary of the Red River Lumber Company from 1908 until July 1933, when he replaced his brother Willis as company president in a management shake-up to appease the Walkers' banker/creditors. A chapter of the Loyal Legion of Loggers and Lumbermen (4-Ls), a trade organization headquartered in Portland, Oregon, was established at Westwood in 1933. In 1892 the men drew up a formal partnership contract. Akeley died at Minneapolis in 1912 while on a visit there. The earliest of these letters (1899-1915) were assembled by the cataloger from random miscellany; the greater part of the business correspondence (1916-1941) was found intact and in relatively good order. Walker at the Red River Lumber Company Minneapolis office and Willis at the San Francisco office (after 1915). Harriet died in New York in 1917, while accompanying her husband on a business trip. In 1874 he constructed his first mansion, at 803 Hennepin Avenue; the house stood some forty years until it was demolished to make way for the State Theatre/Walker Building complex. Julia became president of the Bethany Home Association (Minneapolis) in 1917 after the death of her mother. 1914) and Caroline ("Carrie") Pieper Smith (1844-1923), natives of Pekin, Illinois; he was also a brother of Arthur Pieper Smith (d. Zimmer in Smith & Zimmer, Minneapolis manufacturers and jobbers of farm implements, buggies, and bicycles, circa 1893-1900. He was the Walker family representative on location in Westwood, which became his home beginning in 1912; he was there when the town was platted, the houses located, the mill constructed, and the first logs cut. ] as "a mechanical inventive genius" (Red River Lumber Company Subject Files: Winton), Fletcher continually advocated expansion and modernization of the operation, manufacturing and product line diversification, the investment of more money in the plant, and the purchase of additional equipment and machinery-- frequently in the face of objections from the Minneapolis office. Clinton was married (circa 1901) to Della Brooks, a sister of Alma (Mrs. They had three children: son Brooks Walker (1902-1984), and daughters Harriet E. He began his higher education at the University of Minnesota's College of Engineering, but by 1904 had transferred to Cornell University. Later that same year, the company had to ask its bondholders to grant time extensions on bonds then coming due. The records suggest that these lands were later quit-claimed by Gilbert, Willis, Archie, and possibly Fletcher to the Red River Lumber Company, which eventually quit-claimed them to Barlow. In August 1887, Walker and Akeley entered into a new contract under which Akeley bought a half interest in a long list of Walker and Red River Lumber Company lands. Walker managed and administered partnership affairs out of the Red River Lumber Company office at Minneapolis, apparently with the complete confidence of Akeley, who meanwhile occupied himself with his H. Akeley eventually retired from active business and moved to California. The foldered correspondence consists mostly of Willis' original letters to Minneapolis; carbon copies of Minneapolis' letters to Willis in San Francisco; and carbons sent to various members of the Walker family. The business correspondence consists primarily of letters exchanged between Archie D. He was also involved in the Four Walkers and the Walker Associates family partnerships; the Federal Lumber Company, the International Lumber Company (Minneapolis), the Waland Lumber Company, and the Walker Hovey Lumber Company; the Canby Railroad Company (owned by the Waland and Walker-Hovey companies); the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company (St. Willis married Alma Brooks (1875-1981), a sister of Della Brooks (Mrs. Clinton Lee Walker (1876-1944) was the fifth son of T. In 1917 Clinton applied to join the Engineer Officers' Reserve Corps of the U. He invested in land of his own, and later (circa 1928) in motion picture making. The company cut its first California tree on September 10, 1912; the first California lumber was milled a few weeks later on October 1. Walker had relinquished much of his control of company management to his sons Gilbert, Fletcher, Willis, and Archie, and he seems to have become increasingly frustrated with his inability to completely control the business himself. By the early 1930s the Red River Lumber Company found itself in dire financial straits; in particular, it was unable to redeem bonds which it had earlier sold and which were then coming due. The Correspondence documents the Red River Lumber Company's efforts to survive the 1930s depression, and includes Fletcher's arguments against selling the Westwood plant to the David J. Willis was vice president of the Barlow Realty Company (circa 1936), and was involved in some of the other family-owned Minneapolis property management businesses, including the Pacific Investment Company and the Walker-Burton Company. They had one child, Leon Brooks Walker (1899-1965). In 1913 a disgruntled Clinton severed his official ties with the Red River Lumber Company and struck out in pursuit of other interests, principally the invention of automotive parts and accessories. Pennypacker, another inventor, in the Pennypacker Company, based in San Francisco; Clinton was president, Pennypacker was general manager. He served also at this time as "special negotiator" for the Great Western Power Company, San Francisco. The Red River Lumber Company was organized in 1883 and incorporated in 1884. The Red River Lumber Company began construction of its company town--Westwood--and its lumber mill at the "Mountain Meadows" site in southwestern Lassen County in 1912. Walker's son Clinton left the company in 1913, although he rejoined it in the 1930s. This left the active management of Red River Lumber Company affairs in the hands of Willis (San Francisco), who succeeded his father as president of the firm; Fletcher (Westwood); and Archie (Minneapolis). There is also correspondence with employees and former employees Emma L. There is some discussion concerning a 1937 suggestion by Fletcher that the company construct two additional sawmills in the Shingletown (California) area.Historically, Walker Innovation Inc., a Delaware corporation (collectively, with its subsidiaries, the “Company” or “Walker Innovation”), sought to develop and commercialize its unique portfolio of intellectual property assets through its licensing and enforcement operations (“Licensing and Enforcement”).

Subsequently, on September 27, 2018, the Company completed its initial liquidating distribution in the amount of [[

Subsequently, on September 27, 2018, the Company completed its initial liquidating distribution in the amount of $0.48 per share to each holder of its common stock and Series B Convertible Preferred Stock, or $16,844,791 in the aggregate.

), which originally was formed to purchase pine lands and sell stumpage, but which also became involved in the manufacture of lumber. (Its site was excavated by Minnesota Historical Society archaeologists in 1986.) In 1887 the partnership was amicably dissolved. Akeley informally began their Walker & Akeley partnership in 1887; a formal partnership contract was drawn up in 1892. Three years later a nine-year lawsuit was begun by T. Walker against the Akeley heirs for an accounting and settlement of partnership affairs. In 1926 Walker completed a new gallery building on the site of the present Walker Art Center; this building was opened to the public in 1927. He was a president of the Minneapolis Business Union, and was involved in the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco (1915). Harriet attended Baldwin University, a Methodist-affiliated institution located at Berea. Harriet was president of Northwestern Hospital, originally a Minneapolis hospital for women and children, from 1862 until 1917. Rogers, came with her family to Minnesota, and attended Hamline University until her marriage to Gilbert. The Red River Lumber Company then invited the Lumber and Sawmill Workers, an established union affiliated with the American Federation of Labor, to organize its workers as Local 2836. Walker claimed that there was money due him from the partnership, asked to have the amount determined, and asked the court to order a sale of partnership lands to satisfy the amount that should be found due. Quirk filed an answer, asserting similar claims against Walker. Rockwood; the Akeley heirs by Minneapolis attorney Hugh V. Mc Clenahan filed his findings on May 1, 1924, sustaining Walker's position in nearly every particular. Walker was named president, Allen secretary, and Goodrich treasurer. Louis Park came to a standstill with the Panic of 1893. The Minneapolis Central City Market Company was incorporated in 1891, and for many years operated a wholesale commission produce market in downtown Minneapolis. Walker and Family Papers document one of the largest lumber operations in the Upper Midwest and its gradual expansion into the Pacific Northwest from Minnesota. Bartnett, vice president and general counsel, Western Pacific Railway Company (San Francisco); Hilda (Mrs. The letters document the winding-down of operations at Akeley and the shift of activity to Westwood, which was taking place around 1914. Esterly, president (to circa 1894) of the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company; Ell Torrance (Minneapolis), attorney for A. Allen, vice president and treasurer of the Harvester Company and its assignee in bankruptcy after 1894; Frank J. Many of these letters were written by Willis at Minneapolis to T. Walker on occasions when the elder Walker was away from home.

Lane, Leon Lane, Butler, and Walker), which dissolved in 1871; and in turn was succeeded by a reestablished Butler & Walker (1871-1872). Camp established the Camp & Walker partnership in 1877, and that same year purchased the Pacific Mill in Minneapolis. By 1915 his gallery reportedly consisted of 14 rooms, and was visited by about 100,000 people annually. Walker served as president of the Flour City National Bank (Minneapolis) from 1887 to 1894. Harriet died in New York on January 13, 1917, while accompanying her husband on a business trip there. Jesse W.) Shuman; a nephew, John Rogers Shuman; and a niece, Susan Mary Shuman (Mrs. Julia Anstis Walker Smith (circa 1865-circa 1951) was the second child and the eldest daughter of T. Archie's Minneapolis civic involvements included membership in the Minneapolis Civic and Commerce Association and the Hennepin Avenue Improvement Association; president of the city library board; chairman of the board of trustees of Hennepin Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church (1955-1958); president of the Walker Methodist Home; and trustee and president of the T. Several episodes of strife between the two rival unions followed, most notably in July, 1938, when the company enacted a 17.5% wage cut, conducted a lockout at the Westwood plant, and carried out or supported the expulsion of IWA organizers and sympathizers from the town. Failing to get a settlement, he sued for an accounting in October 1915, in the district court of Beltrami County, Minnesota. The bulk of the evidence was finished in 1921, four years after the suit was commenced; further evidence was taken in August 1922, and a small amount of evidence at a still later time. Christian; the same men also comprised the first board of directors. (The papers of Ell Torrance, also at the Minnesota Historical Society, also contain more information about the Walkers' involvement in the affairs of this company.) The remaining eight volumes of letters (1908-1925) were written by Willis as a vice president of the Red River Lumber Company, and concern his administration and supervision of routine logging and milling operations in both Minnesota and in California; real estate purchases and sales; and Red River Lumber Company finances, accounting, and bookkeeping. The earlier files (1899-1915) primarily relate to Red River Lumber Company activities in Minnesota; a few letters concern company activities in California.

Walker built at least four additions to the house at 803 Hennepin in order to house and display his collection of art objects. Walker Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 1925 to own and manage the collection and gallery after the city of Minneapolis refused to accept the collection as a gift. C.), the Northern Minnesota Log Driving & Boom Company, the Northwestern Elevator Company (Minneapolis), Pacific Investment Company, and the Waland Lumber Company. The Walkers had eight children: Gilbert, Julia, Leon, Harriet, Fletcher, Willis, Clinton, and Archie. Archie was president of the Barlow Realty Company from the 1930s until the 1960s, and was also involved in other of the family's Minneapolis property-management businesses, including the Industrial Investment Company, the Pacific Investment Company, the Penwalk Investment Company, the Walker-Pence Company and its subsidiaries, and the Walker-Burton Company He was also involved in the Four Walkers, the Walker Associates, and the Walker Brothers family partnerships; the Foote Lumber and Coal Company (Minneapolis), the Globe Lumber Company, the Waland Lumber Company, and the Hennepin Paper Company; the Lincoln National Bank and the Lincoln Trust and Savings Bank (both Minneapolis); the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern Railway Company, the Northwest Warehousing Company, the Superior Land Company, the Kicherer Motor Company, the Lake Hassel Gun Club, Inc., the Northome Improvement Association, and Northome Private Roads, Inc. A March 1938, election sponsored by the National Labor Relations Board certified the IEU over the IWA as the workers' legal bargaining agent. Walker spent the next three years trying to settle partnership affairs with the daughter, who was also the administratrix of her father's estate. Nearly 6000 pages of typewritten oral evidence were taken and about 1500 exhibits were introduced. The letterpress books begin with three volumes of letters documenting Willis' efforts to collect outstanding debts owed to the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company by farm implement dealers and others (1897-1907). The volumes also document the sales of harvesters, binders, and mowers and the servicing of customers' machines. The correspondence is mostly concerned with the routine company operational and financial matters overseen by Willis.

This house, which was located adjacent to the present Walker Art Center/Guthrie Theatre complex, was demolished around 1932; an office building for the North American Life Insurance Company was later constructed on the site. In 1879 he began to admit the public into his house to view his growing art collection. Walker's other business involvements and ventures included the Crookston Boom and Water Power Company, the International Lumber Company (Minneapolis), the Metropolitan Trust Company (Minneapolis), the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator Company (Minneapolis), the National Lumber Convention (Washington, D. Julia was also a member of the Walker Associates family partnership; treasurer of the Pacific Investment Company (circa 1935); and secretary, treasurer, and a trustee of the T. Smith Company, Minneapolis dealers in insurance and mortgages, circa 1924-circa 1925; president of Smith & Son Company, a Minneapolis real estate holding company, circa 1935; and president of Smith & Sons Investment Company and its predecessor organizations, circa 1926-circa 1935. Fletcher was married to Eveline Van Winkle Sammis (1871? Archie served as president until at least 1956, through the company's sale of Westwood and liquidation of its other assets. Its newsletters characterized it as "an industry organization of employes[sic] and employers of the West Coast and Western Pine Divisions of the logging and lumber manufacturing industry promoting common interests." Around 1935, it was succeeded by the Industrial Employees Union, Inc. In 1937, a majority of workers voted to replace the IEU with the CIO-affiliated International Woodworkers of America (IWA), which the Red River Lumber Company refused to recognize. He was survived by his widow Clara (after remarriage, Clara Rood Smith) and one daughter, Florence Akeley Quirk (later Florence Akeley Patterson, following her divorce from Quirk). He heard part of the testimony and sent the case to referees to hear evidence. The subject files are composed of correspondence and miscellaneous papers relating to some of Willis' personal business activities and investments, and to the execution of his estate. Walker, who had gained control of collateral (including machinery and accounts receivable) put up by the company when it borrowed money from him that it was unable to repay. There are also carbon copies of Willis' letters to bankers, to lumbermen, and to other Red River Lumber Company officials.

||

Subsequently, on September 27, 2018, the Company completed its initial liquidating distribution in the amount of $0.48 per share to each holder of its common stock and Series B Convertible Preferred Stock, or $16,844,791 in the aggregate. ), which originally was formed to purchase pine lands and sell stumpage, but which also became involved in the manufacture of lumber. (Its site was excavated by Minnesota Historical Society archaeologists in 1986.) In 1887 the partnership was amicably dissolved. Akeley informally began their Walker & Akeley partnership in 1887; a formal partnership contract was drawn up in 1892. Three years later a nine-year lawsuit was begun by T. Walker against the Akeley heirs for an accounting and settlement of partnership affairs. In 1926 Walker completed a new gallery building on the site of the present Walker Art Center; this building was opened to the public in 1927. He was a president of the Minneapolis Business Union, and was involved in the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco (1915). Harriet attended Baldwin University, a Methodist-affiliated institution located at Berea. Harriet was president of Northwestern Hospital, originally a Minneapolis hospital for women and children, from 1862 until 1917. Rogers, came with her family to Minnesota, and attended Hamline University until her marriage to Gilbert. The Red River Lumber Company then invited the Lumber and Sawmill Workers, an established union affiliated with the American Federation of Labor, to organize its workers as Local 2836. Walker claimed that there was money due him from the partnership, asked to have the amount determined, and asked the court to order a sale of partnership lands to satisfy the amount that should be found due. Quirk filed an answer, asserting similar claims against Walker. Rockwood; the Akeley heirs by Minneapolis attorney Hugh V. Mc Clenahan filed his findings on May 1, 1924, sustaining Walker's position in nearly every particular. Walker was named president, Allen secretary, and Goodrich treasurer. Louis Park came to a standstill with the Panic of 1893. The Minneapolis Central City Market Company was incorporated in 1891, and for many years operated a wholesale commission produce market in downtown Minneapolis. Walker and Family Papers document one of the largest lumber operations in the Upper Midwest and its gradual expansion into the Pacific Northwest from Minnesota. Bartnett, vice president and general counsel, Western Pacific Railway Company (San Francisco); Hilda (Mrs. The letters document the winding-down of operations at Akeley and the shift of activity to Westwood, which was taking place around 1914. Esterly, president (to circa 1894) of the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company; Ell Torrance (Minneapolis), attorney for A. Allen, vice president and treasurer of the Harvester Company and its assignee in bankruptcy after 1894; Frank J. Many of these letters were written by Willis at Minneapolis to T. Walker on occasions when the elder Walker was away from home. Lane, Leon Lane, Butler, and Walker), which dissolved in 1871; and in turn was succeeded by a reestablished Butler & Walker (1871-1872). Camp established the Camp & Walker partnership in 1877, and that same year purchased the Pacific Mill in Minneapolis. By 1915 his gallery reportedly consisted of 14 rooms, and was visited by about 100,000 people annually. Walker served as president of the Flour City National Bank (Minneapolis) from 1887 to 1894. Harriet died in New York on January 13, 1917, while accompanying her husband on a business trip there. Jesse W.) Shuman; a nephew, John Rogers Shuman; and a niece, Susan Mary Shuman (Mrs. Julia Anstis Walker Smith (circa 1865-circa 1951) was the second child and the eldest daughter of T. Archie's Minneapolis civic involvements included membership in the Minneapolis Civic and Commerce Association and the Hennepin Avenue Improvement Association; president of the city library board; chairman of the board of trustees of Hennepin Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church (1955-1958); president of the Walker Methodist Home; and trustee and president of the T. Several episodes of strife between the two rival unions followed, most notably in July, 1938, when the company enacted a 17.5% wage cut, conducted a lockout at the Westwood plant, and carried out or supported the expulsion of IWA organizers and sympathizers from the town. Failing to get a settlement, he sued for an accounting in October 1915, in the district court of Beltrami County, Minnesota. The bulk of the evidence was finished in 1921, four years after the suit was commenced; further evidence was taken in August 1922, and a small amount of evidence at a still later time. Christian; the same men also comprised the first board of directors. (The papers of Ell Torrance, also at the Minnesota Historical Society, also contain more information about the Walkers' involvement in the affairs of this company.) The remaining eight volumes of letters (1908-1925) were written by Willis as a vice president of the Red River Lumber Company, and concern his administration and supervision of routine logging and milling operations in both Minnesota and in California; real estate purchases and sales; and Red River Lumber Company finances, accounting, and bookkeeping. The earlier files (1899-1915) primarily relate to Red River Lumber Company activities in Minnesota; a few letters concern company activities in California. Walker built at least four additions to the house at 803 Hennepin in order to house and display his collection of art objects. Walker Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 1925 to own and manage the collection and gallery after the city of Minneapolis refused to accept the collection as a gift. C.), the Northern Minnesota Log Driving & Boom Company, the Northwestern Elevator Company (Minneapolis), Pacific Investment Company, and the Waland Lumber Company. The Walkers had eight children: Gilbert, Julia, Leon, Harriet, Fletcher, Willis, Clinton, and Archie. Archie was president of the Barlow Realty Company from the 1930s until the 1960s, and was also involved in other of the family's Minneapolis property-management businesses, including the Industrial Investment Company, the Pacific Investment Company, the Penwalk Investment Company, the Walker-Pence Company and its subsidiaries, and the Walker-Burton Company He was also involved in the Four Walkers, the Walker Associates, and the Walker Brothers family partnerships; the Foote Lumber and Coal Company (Minneapolis), the Globe Lumber Company, the Waland Lumber Company, and the Hennepin Paper Company; the Lincoln National Bank and the Lincoln Trust and Savings Bank (both Minneapolis); the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern Railway Company, the Northwest Warehousing Company, the Superior Land Company, the Kicherer Motor Company, the Lake Hassel Gun Club, Inc., the Northome Improvement Association, and Northome Private Roads, Inc. A March 1938, election sponsored by the National Labor Relations Board certified the IEU over the IWA as the workers' legal bargaining agent. Walker spent the next three years trying to settle partnership affairs with the daughter, who was also the administratrix of her father's estate. Nearly 6000 pages of typewritten oral evidence were taken and about 1500 exhibits were introduced. The letterpress books begin with three volumes of letters documenting Willis' efforts to collect outstanding debts owed to the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company by farm implement dealers and others (1897-1907). The volumes also document the sales of harvesters, binders, and mowers and the servicing of customers' machines. The correspondence is mostly concerned with the routine company operational and financial matters overseen by Willis. This house, which was located adjacent to the present Walker Art Center/Guthrie Theatre complex, was demolished around 1932; an office building for the North American Life Insurance Company was later constructed on the site. In 1879 he began to admit the public into his house to view his growing art collection. Walker's other business involvements and ventures included the Crookston Boom and Water Power Company, the International Lumber Company (Minneapolis), the Metropolitan Trust Company (Minneapolis), the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator Company (Minneapolis), the National Lumber Convention (Washington, D. Julia was also a member of the Walker Associates family partnership; treasurer of the Pacific Investment Company (circa 1935); and secretary, treasurer, and a trustee of the T. Smith Company, Minneapolis dealers in insurance and mortgages, circa 1924-circa 1925; president of Smith & Son Company, a Minneapolis real estate holding company, circa 1935; and president of Smith & Sons Investment Company and its predecessor organizations, circa 1926-circa 1935. Fletcher was married to Eveline Van Winkle Sammis (1871? Archie served as president until at least 1956, through the company's sale of Westwood and liquidation of its other assets. Its newsletters characterized it as "an industry organization of employes[sic] and employers of the West Coast and Western Pine Divisions of the logging and lumber manufacturing industry promoting common interests." Around 1935, it was succeeded by the Industrial Employees Union, Inc. In 1937, a majority of workers voted to replace the IEU with the CIO-affiliated International Woodworkers of America (IWA), which the Red River Lumber Company refused to recognize. He was survived by his widow Clara (after remarriage, Clara Rood Smith) and one daughter, Florence Akeley Quirk (later Florence Akeley Patterson, following her divorce from Quirk). He heard part of the testimony and sent the case to referees to hear evidence. The subject files are composed of correspondence and miscellaneous papers relating to some of Willis' personal business activities and investments, and to the execution of his estate. Walker, who had gained control of collateral (including machinery and accounts receivable) put up by the company when it borrowed money from him that it was unable to repay. There are also carbon copies of Willis' letters to bankers, to lumbermen, and to other Red River Lumber Company officials.

]].48 per share to each holder of its common stock and Series B Convertible Preferred Stock, or ,844,791 in the aggregate.

), which originally was formed to purchase pine lands and sell stumpage, but which also became involved in the manufacture of lumber. (Its site was excavated by Minnesota Historical Society archaeologists in 1986.) In 1887 the partnership was amicably dissolved. Akeley informally began their Walker & Akeley partnership in 1887; a formal partnership contract was drawn up in 1892. Three years later a nine-year lawsuit was begun by T. Walker against the Akeley heirs for an accounting and settlement of partnership affairs. In 1926 Walker completed a new gallery building on the site of the present Walker Art Center; this building was opened to the public in 1927. He was a president of the Minneapolis Business Union, and was involved in the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco (1915). Harriet attended Baldwin University, a Methodist-affiliated institution located at Berea. Harriet was president of Northwestern Hospital, originally a Minneapolis hospital for women and children, from 1862 until 1917. Rogers, came with her family to Minnesota, and attended Hamline University until her marriage to Gilbert. The Red River Lumber Company then invited the Lumber and Sawmill Workers, an established union affiliated with the American Federation of Labor, to organize its workers as Local 2836. Walker claimed that there was money due him from the partnership, asked to have the amount determined, and asked the court to order a sale of partnership lands to satisfy the amount that should be found due. Quirk filed an answer, asserting similar claims against Walker. Rockwood; the Akeley heirs by Minneapolis attorney Hugh V. Mc Clenahan filed his findings on May 1, 1924, sustaining Walker's position in nearly every particular. Walker was named president, Allen secretary, and Goodrich treasurer. Louis Park came to a standstill with the Panic of 1893. The Minneapolis Central City Market Company was incorporated in 1891, and for many years operated a wholesale commission produce market in downtown Minneapolis. Walker and Family Papers document one of the largest lumber operations in the Upper Midwest and its gradual expansion into the Pacific Northwest from Minnesota. Bartnett, vice president and general counsel, Western Pacific Railway Company (San Francisco); Hilda (Mrs. The letters document the winding-down of operations at Akeley and the shift of activity to Westwood, which was taking place around 1914. Esterly, president (to circa 1894) of the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company; Ell Torrance (Minneapolis), attorney for A. Allen, vice president and treasurer of the Harvester Company and its assignee in bankruptcy after 1894; Frank J. Many of these letters were written by Willis at Minneapolis to T. Walker on occasions when the elder Walker was away from home.

Lane, Leon Lane, Butler, and Walker), which dissolved in 1871; and in turn was succeeded by a reestablished Butler & Walker (1871-1872). Camp established the Camp & Walker partnership in 1877, and that same year purchased the Pacific Mill in Minneapolis. By 1915 his gallery reportedly consisted of 14 rooms, and was visited by about 100,000 people annually. Walker served as president of the Flour City National Bank (Minneapolis) from 1887 to 1894. Harriet died in New York on January 13, 1917, while accompanying her husband on a business trip there. Jesse W.) Shuman; a nephew, John Rogers Shuman; and a niece, Susan Mary Shuman (Mrs. Julia Anstis Walker Smith (circa 1865-circa 1951) was the second child and the eldest daughter of T. Archie's Minneapolis civic involvements included membership in the Minneapolis Civic and Commerce Association and the Hennepin Avenue Improvement Association; president of the city library board; chairman of the board of trustees of Hennepin Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church (1955-1958); president of the Walker Methodist Home; and trustee and president of the T. Several episodes of strife between the two rival unions followed, most notably in July, 1938, when the company enacted a 17.5% wage cut, conducted a lockout at the Westwood plant, and carried out or supported the expulsion of IWA organizers and sympathizers from the town. Failing to get a settlement, he sued for an accounting in October 1915, in the district court of Beltrami County, Minnesota. The bulk of the evidence was finished in 1921, four years after the suit was commenced; further evidence was taken in August 1922, and a small amount of evidence at a still later time. Christian; the same men also comprised the first board of directors. (The papers of Ell Torrance, also at the Minnesota Historical Society, also contain more information about the Walkers' involvement in the affairs of this company.) The remaining eight volumes of letters (1908-1925) were written by Willis as a vice president of the Red River Lumber Company, and concern his administration and supervision of routine logging and milling operations in both Minnesota and in California; real estate purchases and sales; and Red River Lumber Company finances, accounting, and bookkeeping. The earlier files (1899-1915) primarily relate to Red River Lumber Company activities in Minnesota; a few letters concern company activities in California.

Walker built at least four additions to the house at 803 Hennepin in order to house and display his collection of art objects. Walker Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 1925 to own and manage the collection and gallery after the city of Minneapolis refused to accept the collection as a gift. C.), the Northern Minnesota Log Driving & Boom Company, the Northwestern Elevator Company (Minneapolis), Pacific Investment Company, and the Waland Lumber Company. The Walkers had eight children: Gilbert, Julia, Leon, Harriet, Fletcher, Willis, Clinton, and Archie. Archie was president of the Barlow Realty Company from the 1930s until the 1960s, and was also involved in other of the family's Minneapolis property-management businesses, including the Industrial Investment Company, the Pacific Investment Company, the Penwalk Investment Company, the Walker-Pence Company and its subsidiaries, and the Walker-Burton Company He was also involved in the Four Walkers, the Walker Associates, and the Walker Brothers family partnerships; the Foote Lumber and Coal Company (Minneapolis), the Globe Lumber Company, the Waland Lumber Company, and the Hennepin Paper Company; the Lincoln National Bank and the Lincoln Trust and Savings Bank (both Minneapolis); the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern Railway Company, the Northwest Warehousing Company, the Superior Land Company, the Kicherer Motor Company, the Lake Hassel Gun Club, Inc., the Northome Improvement Association, and Northome Private Roads, Inc. A March 1938, election sponsored by the National Labor Relations Board certified the IEU over the IWA as the workers' legal bargaining agent. Walker spent the next three years trying to settle partnership affairs with the daughter, who was also the administratrix of her father's estate. Nearly 6000 pages of typewritten oral evidence were taken and about 1500 exhibits were introduced. The letterpress books begin with three volumes of letters documenting Willis' efforts to collect outstanding debts owed to the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company by farm implement dealers and others (1897-1907). The volumes also document the sales of harvesters, binders, and mowers and the servicing of customers' machines. The correspondence is mostly concerned with the routine company operational and financial matters overseen by Willis.

This house, which was located adjacent to the present Walker Art Center/Guthrie Theatre complex, was demolished around 1932; an office building for the North American Life Insurance Company was later constructed on the site. In 1879 he began to admit the public into his house to view his growing art collection. Walker's other business involvements and ventures included the Crookston Boom and Water Power Company, the International Lumber Company (Minneapolis), the Metropolitan Trust Company (Minneapolis), the Minneapolis Central City Market Company, the Minneapolis Esterly Harvester Company, the Minneapolis Land & Investment Company, the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator Company (Minneapolis), the National Lumber Convention (Washington, D. Julia was also a member of the Walker Associates family partnership; treasurer of the Pacific Investment Company (circa 1935); and secretary, treasurer, and a trustee of the T. Smith Company, Minneapolis dealers in insurance and mortgages, circa 1924-circa 1925; president of Smith & Son Company, a Minneapolis real estate holding company, circa 1935; and president of Smith & Sons Investment Company and its predecessor organizations, circa 1926-circa 1935. Fletcher was married to Eveline Van Winkle Sammis (1871? Archie served as president until at least 1956, through the company's sale of Westwood and liquidation of its other assets. Its newsletters characterized it as "an industry organization of employes[sic] and employers of the West Coast and Western Pine Divisions of the logging and lumber manufacturing industry promoting common interests." Around 1935, it was succeeded by the Industrial Employees Union, Inc. In 1937, a majority of workers voted to replace the IEU with the CIO-affiliated International Woodworkers of America (IWA), which the Red River Lumber Company refused to recognize. He was survived by his widow Clara (after remarriage, Clara Rood Smith) and one daughter, Florence Akeley Quirk (later Florence Akeley Patterson, following her divorce from Quirk). He heard part of the testimony and sent the case to referees to hear evidence. The subject files are composed of correspondence and miscellaneous papers relating to some of Willis' personal business activities and investments, and to the execution of his estate. Walker, who had gained control of collateral (including machinery and accounts receivable) put up by the company when it borrowed money from him that it was unable to repay. There are also carbon copies of Willis' letters to bankers, to lumbermen, and to other Red River Lumber Company officials.

walker liquidating-5walker liquidating-85walker liquidating-68

(Hanft, page 36.) He also served as cashier of the Red River Lumber Company prior to his years as a vice president (circa 1915-circa 1929) and president (circa 1929-1933). Maureen Koelsch was later hired by Walker's granddaughter, Louise W. The mill at Crookston was sold in 1897 to the Thomas H. Walker was developing the new town of Akeley, Minnesota, in Hubbard County, as a location for a future sawmill. Hovey (San Francisco) to procure brandy for him (1918). Correspondence with Minneapolis provides information about the construction in the northeastern California wilderness of the mill and town at Westwood (1912-1913), area logging operations, the cutting of the first lumber at Westwood (October 1, 1912), plant operations and equipment, lumber sales and shipment, the construction of a rail line toward Westwood by the Southern Pacific (circa 1912-1913), the construction and maintenance of spur lines, and innovations in technology and equipment at the Westwood mill.

One thought on “walker liquidating”